These are great as an appetizer or as the main course with a big salad. The picture is fairly self explanatory, but I'll walk you through the process.
Time: Approximately 30 minutes including prep. Cost: Approximately $10 with guaranteed leftovers.
1 tube Trader Joe's Organic Polenta
1/2 jar tomato sauce
8 ounces part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded or sliced small enough to fit on polenta slices
6 large fresh basil leaves, cut into halves
2 tbsps Olive Oil
1 grilled/baked Portobello mushroom
2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Slice polenta into 1/4" thick slices or bigger if you desire a fatter bite.
2. Clean and wash a Portobello mushroom. Place in tin foil and sprinkle olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper onto mushroom. Bake for 15 minutes.
3. While the mushroom is baking, arrange the polenta slices on a cookie sheet with wax paper. You can also spray the cookie sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
4. Drizzle olive oil onto all of the slices. Spoon approximately 1 heaping teaspoon of tomato sauce or more depending on how much sauce you enjoy onto each slice.
5. Sprinkle each slice with oregano. Place your sliced or shredded mozzarella onto the polenta.
6. Top with basil and Portobello mushroom and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
7. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, depending on how crispy you like your polenta.