While these root vegetables aren’t the most photogenic, the dish is easy, affordable (approximately $10), and packed with protein and nutrients. These boats are filled with black beans, sauteed kale and garlic in Earth Balance butter, roasted Portobello mushrooms, topped with Daiya cheddar cheese and a balsamic glaze. (You can always use real cheese if you absolutely can't give up dairy!)
This dish will take a little longer than most, approximately 45 - 50 minutes only because you have to wait for the potatoes to bake. But they are worth the wait! And sweet potatoes are saturated with Vitamins A and C along with calcium and iron. Vitamin A is good for vision, a healthy immune system, and cell growth. Vitamin A is also used to treat acne, skin conditions, and wrinkles. Eat your sweet potatoes to stay young!
What are you waiting for? Take these boats out for a sail!
What you'll need:
2 large sweet potatoes
1/2 can black beans
3 cups fresh Kale, chopped
2 -3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon Earth Balance butter
10 pre-sliced Portobello mushrooms or 2-3 Portobello mushroom caps, sliced & cubed
2 -4 Tablespoons Balsamic glaze
2 Tablespoons olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 cup your choice of plant-based cheddar "cheese" or real cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Wash sweet potatoes and leave skin on. Slice them in half vertically and then cut a slit down the middle so that they will more evenly bake. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes or until very soft.
3. Wash and chop Portobello mushrooms into cubes. Place chopped mushroom on a baking sheet or aluminum foil and drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper, and the balsamic glaze. Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Wash and chop Kale into small pieces.
5. In a medium size frying pan, melt the Earth Balance butter. Toss in the Kale and garlic. Saute for 5 - 10 minutes. Set aside.
6. Take sweet potatoes out of oven and when they have cooled enough, cut out a section in the middle so you have room for the filling (kale mix, black beans, & mushrooms).
7. Fill sweet potatoes equally with the desired amount of black beans, Portobello mushroom cubes, and Kale/garlic mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Place back in the oven for 1- 2 minutes or until the cheese melts.
8. Drizzle with balsamic glaze. Enjoy!